Monday, March 16, 2009

Koyaanisqatsi thoughts on life










It was another terrific weekend in the city, and oh the sights to see. Friday we saw babies on the floor. Saturday was the goofiest parade in the whole country at the Chicago Irish Parade, and Sunday I played some Fable and finally got to go see Watchmen (on Imax). All together, a nice package. Now to Watchmen. I thought it was fantastic, and of course the most fantastic character is Doctor Manhattan. I was pleasantly surprised when he tells his back story before heading off to Mars. The accompanying music was selected from Philip Glass’s Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack to reflect his angst.

The “Qatsi” trilogy, the first of which is Koyaanisqatsi, is a trio of experimental films focused on reflecting the chaotic nature of human existence on Earth. Philip Glass had always sworn he would never do a soundtrack, that is until he saw footage of the Koyaanisqatsi film. His music is as incredible as the footage. Absolutely haunting, and I love that it was included in a current part of our pop culture. Its totally with it, as it were, and I’ve been rewatching these films (before I knew what Watchmen had in store). Late one night, as I started drifting off to sleep, I decided to experiment myself, recording thoughts from what I was watching as they drifted to me over the wall of sleep, a bit like random association. I don't recall what most of them mean, but they were there, at one point, so, here they are now, Koyaanisqatsi thoughts on life:

Naked swimming is really the best way of swimming

Did the elephant temple with flags sell any tickets at all?

Was that the IRS agent? I’ll have to consult my sales

Forests of buildings with all different species and purposes

Egg drop soup map from hell

Charlie and I are going to board the prostitute train today

There has got to be tons of fleas and bugs in all that hay (and hair)

Little girl cleaning the guerilla sign question

All of our fields become oceans

This lady’s ride is late, shes going to have to walk

Kids laugh when they do bad, but jump when threatened

I have bingo all night long

The dance is the sauce but you’re going to have to roll up your pants so they don’t defling

When the dancers align their hats, do chess tournaments commence?

Where are the rockets shooting?

Mass Consciousness

Sideways cities make great Pachinko machines

Boy pointing at me behind the suicide jumper holding the pan of eggs

He should just beat that ghost in the log to trap her

Why are women always shaking their hair at me?

I wish that computers were powered by marble roller coasters

How much did the yellow visors cost and why isn’t everyone wearing them?

Can we keep going to Tyler’s?

Man: “I am going to faint”

Only devils blow smoke out of their nose

That little one there is going to grow up to be a tough woman to deal with

Isn’t that cool, I lost lost lost mine?

Backpacks are great tools used in many different capacities

Does man want to kill his children because he has to work for them?

And I think to myself, I could only go on under the guise that you thought/meant nothing of/to me.












Hear some of the music here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VysrUsrhKbQ&feature=related


2 comments:

Jc said...

damn cole. you are a prolific writer. i just found your blizzog here and i think its great. keep up the good words and tall tales.

april said...

the duck who cares